Ooooh it feels nice when people say nice things. Even if you don’t much like the word ‘nice’.
Although in its infancy, Spark+Mettle is already garnering a reputation for exciting, compelling work.
Giving opportunities to youth born of fewer choices takes a stunning amount of work. There’s no one formula. No algorithm or one-size-fits-all program. What it takes is caring individuals who will work shoulder-to-shoulder with young people, guiding them, sometimes for years, until they reach a new plateau of better chances and choices. Spark+Mettle understands all this, and is doing this essential work with humble hearts and fierce dedication.
—Dave Eggers, writer and co-founder of 826 Valencia
A great project.
—Professor Richard Layard, author of Happiness
A great overview of what we’re trying to do:
- Eugenie was interviewed for the fantastic World of Difference campaign from the Vodafone Foundation. And what a stellar interview it was too. Read it, in all its glory: worldofdifference.vodafone.co.uk, 28.x.2011.
Press for our first-ever campaign, Flour-ish:
- The Guardian, Pass Notes No 3,107: Blue Monday, 16.i.2012.
- The Telegraph, Blue Monday is most depressing day of the year, research claims, 16.i.2012.
- The Scotsman, Bake your way to a better frame of mind, 14.i.2012.
- The Argus, Blue Monday is on its way – but when?, 15.i.2012.
- plus much additional regional coverage based on a Press Association piece, Blue Monday is a day to flourish, (inc in TNT and the Bristol Evening Post), 16.i.2012.
Founder Eugenie Teasley has also been featured around the place:
- Speaker for A Good Week‘s launch party, 18.vi.2012
- Panelist on The Guardian‘s Careers website for a live Q&A on opportunities for diverse job-seekers: careers.guardian.co.uk/diverse-talent-entry-level-jobs, 21.v.2012
- Guest blog post for Social Reporters on digital technology and youth engagement: socialreporters.net/?p=695, 1.v.2012
- Interview for Social Innovation Europe: socialinnovationeurope.eu/magazine/education-and-youth/interviews-0/sie-interviews-eugenie-teasley-spark-mettle, 03.iv.2012
- Interview for Ogunte: ogunte.com/innovation/featured-women-socinn/360-eugenie-teasley-spark-and-mettle, xii.2011
- Speaker at a Common Purpose event for their Frontrunner for Disabled Students programme, 6.xii.2011
- Eugenie shares her crowd-funding tips on the Buzzbnk blog: blog.buzzbnk.org/2011/11/15/crowd-funding-and-movement-building, 15.xi.2011
- Interview for the Think Act Vote campaign: thinkactvote.org/2011/08/04/eugenie-teasley-the-futures-interview, 4.viii.2011